Royal Albert Hall
Londres - Angleterre
Topologie du théâtre
Nombre de salles actives: 1
Salle 1: (5544) 1871 - Actif
En métro: Gloucester Road, High Street Kensington, Knightsbridge, South Kensington
En bus: 9, 10, 52, 360, 452
Adresse: Kensington Gore, London, SW7 2AP
Nom: The hall was originally supposed to have been called The Central Hall of Arts and Sciences, but the name was changed by Queen Victoria to Royal Albert Hall of Arts and Sciences when laying the foundation stone as a dedication to her deceased husband and consort Prince Albert.
1871 - Actif
Le Royal Albert Hall est l'une des salles de spectacles les plus célèbres au monde. Inauguré par la reine Victoria en 1871, cette salle opère en tant qu'organisme de bienfaisance et à ce titre ne reçoit aucun financement public. Chaque année, il accueille plus de 360 spectacles, de musique classique, de jazz, de musique du monde, de cirque, de rock, de pop, d'opéra, de danse, de comédie, de tennis, ainsi que des dîners et des cérémonies de remise de prix, sans oublier le festival de l'Acte du Souvenir de la Royal British Legion.
The Royal Albert Hall, which was originally going to be called the Central Hall, was built to fulfil the vision of Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria, to be used to promote understanding and appreciation of the Arts and Sciences. It was to stand in the heart of the South Kensington estate, which was to be developed with the profits of the Great Exhibition of 1851.
When Prince Albert died of typhoid fever in 1861, all plans for the building were put on hold until they were rekindled by Albert’s collaborator on the Great Exhibition, Henry Cole.
The design of the Hall is inspired by Cole’s visits to ruined Roman Amphitheatres and it was originally intended to accommodate 30,000 people, which was eventually reduced to 7,000 for financial and practical reasons, and today, due to modern fire regulations, to around 5,500.
Work started in April 1867 and the Hall was opened on March 29 1871 by Queen Victoria, renamed in Prince Albert’s memory to the Royal Albert Hall of Arts and Sciences. When Victoria opened the Hall she was so overcome by emotion that the Prince of Wales had to speak in her place; her only recorded comment on the Hall was that it reminded her of the British constitution.
The Hall’s main auditorium is 185 feet wide by 219 feet long and is covered by a glazed dome. The sheer size of the enclosed space coupled with the reflection of sound from the glass roof above created a significant echo which was only finally resolved in the late 1960s with the addition of multiple acoustic saucers, often referred to as the Royal Albert Hall mushrooms.
The hall was originally supposed to have been called The Central Hall of Arts and Sciences, but the name was changed by Queen Victoria to Royal Albert Hall of Arts and Sciences when laying the foundation stone as a dedication to her deceased husband and consort Prince Albert.